Making Roti and the works




Well, I am taking up this blog back as I had put it away for a bit. Right now I am trying to go vegetarian and I am learning to cook a lot of new things. I love Indian food and also Caribbean so, that's where my interest lies now. If I slip up on the vegetarian cooking please feel free to let me know. My family is taking the transition pretty well and seem to be enjoying my experiments.We'll start out with Caribbean cooking; Roti is made famous by alot of island in the Caribbean, but Guyana and Trunidad seem to be the most popular known for this spendid morsel.
Yesterday my task was to make Roti with CURRY POTATOES AND MOCK CHICKEN, which turned out amazing. By no means I'm saying this is the correct way to do as this site is a learning site for you and me. Have a look at the pictures. Take into consideration I don't have a tawa and had to make it in a iron fry pan which I thought came out awesome.


Roti Recipe



2 cups all purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
3 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp.veg. oil
1 cup tepid water
Combine all the dry ingredients in a bowl,add oil and water, mix to form a dough. Knead dough for about 2 mins, place back in bowl and lightly smooth a bit of oil over the dough.Let dough rest for about 20 minutes cover with plastic wrap. Give it another quick knead and rest again for 20 mins. Heat fry pan over medium heat and cut dough into five pieces and shape into balls, place one ball on a floured counter and roll into a circluar shape 1/4 inch thick. Spray fry pan with oil and put roti to cook, flip when bubble begins to form. Do not burn, roti should be light toasty brown, cover with kitchen towel and continue.

Comments